Happy Thursday!! I just wanted to take a moment to share my USA Network commercial for Valspar paint with you. It is such a pleasure to work for Ace Hardware! If you tune into USA at all maybe you'll catch my chat with Cat. Ace Hardware has a beautiful selection of Valspar paints!
Here is the link to the commercial.
Here is a peek of Cat and I on her stoop. Her show, Talk Stoop, is great, btw!
Thursday, March 26, 2015
Wednesday, March 25, 2015
|You know I have a love for smaller homes that are beautifully finished. They tend to pack a punch but don't take as much time to maintain! California Bungalows are up there as one of my favorites. In fact, I'd most likely move out west if I didn't worship my family here in Massachusetts. (I also can't leave now until my children are 18) Don't get me wrong there are so many things I love about the Boston area but after this winter a longer warm season would be much appreciated!!|
This lovely home is that of comedic writer Erin Foster. Her new show, Barely Famous, airs on VH1. I'm loving the light, layered style. It feels fresh, updated and attainable.
I was actually working on a project today with a similar feel! Erin hired designers from the company Spruce. I also have to mention that DOMAINE is one of my favorite online design magazines! They never disappoint! I think I'll be tuning into her show tonight @9:30/8:30Central.
Tuesday, March 24, 2015
Posted by My name: Julie My design firm: SHELTER at 3/24/2015
Monday, March 23, 2015
|Lately, I awake every morning wishing for a warm day....It has yet to happen. So. I'm going with my second option = create my own sunshine!! I've decided to kick off the week with a bit of bright and sunny. Today's post is inspired by Furbish Studio's "When life gives you lemons" print. I love lemony yellow, especially when paired with neutrals such as grey, white and navy.|
1. I keep reading about the benefits of drinking lemon water. I've decided to start each morning with a freshly squeezed glass. (I'm drinking one now)
2. I just ordered my daughter's Easter dress. Mini Boden has an adorable selection of girl's dresses.
3. Pale grey and lemon is a no brainer color combo. I loved the home tour of Susan Greenleaf's San Francisco home.
4. Layered cardigans will add a Springy note to your neutral clothing staples! These are both from J. Crew. Cardigan (top + bottom)
Posted by My name: Julie My design firm: SHELTER at 3/23/2015
Friday, March 20, 2015
|Happy Friday and first day of Spring!! (Whaaaaa? Could have fooled me) I have a cold and this morning I was dealing a very unhappy little five year old. (She wanted to stay home) but the afternoon is looking up! I have plans for a quiet evening, which I am thrilled about. Matty is off to watch bball with all of his basketball buddies. I plan to sit in with my kiddos and some childhood friends! |
Every week, I am continually looking for inspiration for my projects, designs, wardrobe.. Here are the moments that made me happy this week and cheered me up this a.m.! ( I needed it, grrr )
1. If I was independently wealthy I would do a slew of things but one would be to bake more "pretty" treats with my daughter. She loves to cook and bake. I just have a hard time trying to fit in much baking these days. This cake is so sweet, it's a little piece of sculpture. The recipe and design instructions are here. Creating something beautiful from scratch is one of my favorite things to do! (hence my job choice!)
2. I would love to jump into this image today. I am so over the cold!!!
Image by Slim Aarons.
3. I've been loving beaded bags lately. Star Mela has some cuties. Image: Sincerely Jules
Purchase: #4. here #5. here!
6. I dream of building a house. I've always been drawn to Capes. This home is so pretty, isn't it?
7. Yes, yes, yes. I am working on this....
8. I love art that perks up a room. Springy colors mix well in most settings. Purchase this original signed piece here.
Posted by My name: Julie My design firm: SHELTER at 3/20/2015
Thursday, March 19, 2015
|I guess there is one plus to all this cold weather, I find it more conducive to cooking. I usually pour myself a glass of wine, light a fire and whip up dinner. I don't have central AC so I tend to use the oven more when it's chilly out than in the summer.|
I find the key to making the art of cooking less hectic is the planning. For some reason among the chaos of my life, I find cooking therapeutic. The steps and preparation force me to focus and follow steps. I made homemade chicken soup last night, it's already gone! I think the most important thing when cooking anything is to use the freshest ingredients you can. I also try to splurge on organic or at least hormone free meat. I swear, I notice a difference in the taste and sometimes consistency! I also add more spices and some not even mentioned in the recipes. (I often to combine two or more recipes into one creation) There is nothing worse than bland food or soup, for that matter. Although not the healthiest, I sauté my carrots, onions and celery for my chicken and turkey soup in olive oil and butter. Butter adds such a wonderful flavor.
My kitchen is coming along and I'm actually loving it. The drawers are in and the hardware is ordered. Here is my selection...I am so happy with the brass. I purchased my hardware here.
I went with carrara counter tops and white cabinetry. I am thrilled with both!
The one problem is space. I don't have a ton of storage and still have a number of items in the basement. My next home will have a pantry and a large island for sure!! I am trying to be as resourceful and efficient with the space I do have!
This morning I came across Ali Cayne's gorgeous NYC kitchen. She owns and operates Haven's kitchen. Read more about her venture and cooking school here. It looks very cool...Enjoy the images of her beautiful and perfectly organized kitchen at her home!! All images via Domino Magazine.
I plan to grow a "salad" garden this summer! Stay tuned for my selections and photos of the before and after...And also hopefully some images of the harvested veggies!! :)
Posted by My name: Julie My design firm: SHELTER at 3/19/2015
Wednesday, March 18, 2015
Yes, it may feel like December, but I'm not thinking Christmas! I pretty much despise March, no offense March but you are such a tease! However, for me, two great things have come out of this month. The first being: I met this guy! (yeah, down there in the photo of us) Matty and I started to message over FB two years ago this week..(we had mutual friends) It started with me asking if anyone had a college hoops basketball pool. He did and we ended up on our first day very soon after. The second, is college hoops March Madness!! The fact that Matty not only played basketball but he also had a love of the tournament ended up being something we had in common. And the rest as they say, is history.......
I filled out one bracket yesterday and hope to join one more! We all need something to get us through this month, why not hoops? My Dad always played, so I grew up watching the game. Weekends watching the NCAA college hoops and my bracket is a great distraction from the chilly weather and often raw days... I picked Kentucky to win it all. (How could I not) but have long been a Duke fan. (My Dad played bball with coach K) Who are you betting on??
I always say that if Matty and I buy a house together, it will need some sort of man town..You know, a place for a "U" shaped sectional and a large (if I have my way) built in television.
Here's about all you need to watch a great bball game! Whether at a bar or home, we're pretty casual when we watch the games! Go Duke!
|I'd love a large but streamlined "U" shaped sectional someday. I still think Restoration Hardware has the best quality and selection.|
1. An ottoman to put your feet up on is a must.
2. A food and drink tray is another must!!
I'll be dressing and eating pretty casually for the games. Here's a peek at a typical Saturday afternoon look.
1. A simple comfy sweatshirt.
2. Sports watch
7. Frosty beer and glasses
Posted by My name: Julie My design firm: SHELTER at 3/18/2015
Tuesday, March 17, 2015
I know it's pretty obvious to blog about green today, but I can't pass up the chance to mention one of my favorite colors - Emerald!! I've used quite a bit around my home and it is still a part of my logo design, which I will eventually revamp but I may have a hard time giving up the green. (I cannot tell I lie, I come from a very Irish town and recently moved back!)
Happy St. Patty's Day!!
1. I've always wanted to visit Ireland. The lush green landscape is beautiful.
2. Here is a great green paint color: Green Globe - VR019B by Valspar for Ace Hardware. I used almost the exact shade in my kitchen.
Posted by My name: Julie My design firm: SHELTER at 3/17/2015
Friday, March 13, 2015
Is it me or was this week a whirlwind?? I'm not sure where the time went but I could use another ten hours or so!! I need to meet my son at the bus stop in about fifteen minutes..So, here is a quick run down of what caught my eye this week! I'm on the hunt for some fresh inspiration, are you?
1. + 2. I don't know if it is because I am so excited for Spring but I am loving shades of pale lavender lately. It's such a fresh, pretty color. In fact, I have my paint deck open to about twenty beautiful shades. I've got to work some into a project or my life!
3. I'm sure you haven't missed Tory Burch's collaboration with Dodie Thayer, but in case you have, read more about and purchase these beautiful dishes here. I've always loved lettuceware pottery. I have a piece of my grandmother's some place, I need to find that! I would love a set of the salad dishes to either display, use or both!
4. + 6. We are entering into that transitional time of year. It is too chilly for short sleeves but too warm for a heavy coat. I love breaking out my vests and fun sweatshirts during this time. Graphic sweatshirts with chunky jewels pair well. The jewels make a statement but the overall look is casual and comfy. C'est La Vie sweatshirt available here.
5. Who else has gained at least 5lbs this winter??? Ugh, I have!! I've been trying to eat really healthy and work out when I can. On the weekends I tend to splurge a bit more. I thought this alternative Bruschetta recipe sounded yummy. (below)
6. Ahhhh, yes! You deserve the best, never forget it!
7. As a tradition me, my children, my sister and her children dye Easter eggs together. I may have to try out the gold foil again. Colorful sharpies are also another option. I'll share our final results, I'm sure we will have an interesting mix! wink, wink
Have a great weekend my loves! xx
lemon, ricotta, basil and honey bruschetta
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- extra virgin olive oil, for brushing, plus extra to serve
- ⅓ cup (65g) ricotta
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- ¼ cup basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon pink peppercorns, crushed
- sea salt flakes
- 1 tablespoon honey, to serve
Posted by My name: Julie My design firm: SHELTER at 3/13/2015
Thursday, March 12, 2015
|Whether you are creating a slightly bohemian space or something a bit more preppy, updating a nursery into a "big kids" room can be fairly easy with a few new items and a fresh paint color! I can't think of a better time than the Spring to take on these projects! I myself have set a deadline to finish up my daughter's room before the end of the summer! Below I've shared a selection of my favorite picks for a child's room. In the mood for custom build out? (similar to photo at bottom of page) Contact Shelter! We can design just about anything!!|
|This adorable bedroom is by my dear friend Sarah Crawford of the blog : Valentine.. She has since moved but it was precious space. The bed is by Jenny Lind and available through Land of Nod.|
|This built out bedroom room makes a great use of the space and is very customized!|
Posted by My name: Julie My design firm: SHELTER at 3/12/2015