Monday, July 13, 2009

Office Makeover - Tips and Tricks

I just love transformations. It's amazing what a difference creative space planning, paint and a few ingenious ideas can make. This room is very coordinated which makes for a cohesive design. I usually add something to "throw things off a bit". I'm not a big fan of everything matching but this office - den space works very well! It's full of tips and tricks. Let's run through the list shall we?


1. The power of paint. These white walls reflect the natural light and make for a clean crisp space. The green painted molding along the ceiling creates definition and interest.
2. The small love seat is upholstered in two fabrics, an interesting print has been used on the back and seat cushion. The body of the piece is covered in a basic white duck cloth. The limited use of the print adds an unexpected touch but can also save you some money.
3. The organic white and green rug lightens up the woods floors. It's actually two 4' x 6' rugs taped together. Another money saving tip. Often odd sized rugs are hard to find, this idea devises a custom size for your space. Places like Ikea sell great inexpensive rugs. Carpet tape can be found at most hardware stores.
4. Using lucite in small spaces saves space visually! It also adds a modern twist to a classic space.
5. Paint your ceiling a slightly different color then the walls. I've even covered the ceiling in my office with wallpaper. {I'll post photos of my office soon}


This photo is so typical of many spaces. {loose the hollow-core doors}

I love the way those hum-drum closets were hidden but also used so efficiently. I've also done something similar in my office.
6. Create storage space and shelving within under-used closets. The shelving is perfect for your home computer, books, music - i pod connection, office supplies, photos etc. They are accessible but can be hidden with the over sized fabric panels. This small amount of space is now so functional!
7. Add interesting trim and banding to your drapes. The leading edge of these panels is very fun and graphic.
8. Spray your plain file cabinets with a shot of color. Specially formulated paint is available for metal surfaces.

10. Paint the top of your white desk with a color. It will help tie the room together.
11. Cover one wall - Preferably a focal wall with a patterned wall paper. Try and match the background color to your wall color for a cohesive look.
12. Repeat your crown molding trim color on the insides of book shelves. Painting the interior of any simple white shelves is fun, unexpected and inexpensive.
Images: Better Homes and Gardens

15 comments:

LindsB said...

I loved this office space when I first saw it in BH&G- the orange and green are so fun together. Great tips and tricks list here, I'm saving this for the future- thanks!

bluehydrangea said...

I need an office like this!!! Oh, the fun I would have. Love a good make-over!

tiffany said...

Wow, what a transformation! The "after" looks amazing. Isn't it awesome how it doesn't take too much to really completely change up a space?

Brooke @ Blueprint Bliss said...

Great post. I love b&a's. And I really love the use of those two closets. Saving this image in my file!

MFAMB said...

great tips! thank you!
xoj

Verdigris Vie said...

Mmm - i love this green and orange colour combo. Feels very fresh and sporty! I am just trying to finalize a colour scheme for my daughters room - OK it's been a year already..I know green for sure,but I think this might be the winner !!

Vitania

KK said...

I don't like when things are too matchy either, you should do a blog on how to mix up a too matchy space...i would have no idea how to do that but know I want to avoid it.

Nancy said...

I loved the color combination...

At my house the scene is bit different :(..Before my daughter decided to let her boyfriend buy her a dog (which meant I got stuck with a dog) I used to like rugs, especially kitchen rugs however, for some strange reason rugs and this dog do not mix, which is why we currently have hardwood floors and very few rugs. It’s really not fair to blame the dog, it’s the people here in the house on the days I’m not here that can’t seem to remember to let her out (or my husband who consistently forgets to let her out in the morning) and she seems to feel that a rug or a towel is the place to pee…

So, any rug I own? Has to be completely washable and not have a foam backing…

High-Heeled Foot in the door said...

Beautiful. I love anything with orange and this space just turned out wonderfully. Thanks for the tips!

Liza said...

I've never heard of carpet tape--what a great idea. I love the carpets you used in the office make-over!

Julie Richard - Shelter said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Julie Richard - Shelter said...

Thanks for all your tips. This isn't a personal transformation. These images are from B.H.& G. A magazine that is def. getting better.

Nancy - Why not try a synthetic area rug like Chilewich brand. These area rugs work perfectly in a kitchen and can be washed off if needed. Good Luck with the dog!

Allison Hasel said...

What a great office transformation! Any idea the source of the white bookcase? I'm looking for something similar for my own office.

Kay~ said...

I love this space. Where did you find the white shelving unit/cabinet? I have looked everywhere for one just like this!!!
Pleae email me at kay_cox@yahoo.com and let me know! Love your creativity!

Kay~ said...

I have been looking for a white bookcase/cabinet just like this. I can't find one anywhere. Please email me at kay_cox@yahoo.com for details on where you got this! Love your office!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails