Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Where I'd like to....



COOK, EAT, ENTERTAIN, LIVE..YOU NAME IT!
Okay, so I'll break down why I think this space is so fabulous.
- Great use of space planning, the cabinets are built up to the ceiling, this is very important in a kitchen design. The often seen empty space above cabinets is no more then a dust and "stuff" collector. Most people just display "stuff" they never use.
- Built in banquettes are are another efficient space saver. They're fun too. I'm currently having a sofa upholstered in Celerie Kemble's betwixt pattern. {it's the fabric on the two throw pillows}
- This kitchen is livable, unexpected and glamorous. The black cabinets are clean but classic, and the panel detailing is beautiful.
- I love to cook, so that stove and marble back splash would be a dream
- Turquoise is one of my absolute favorite colors, this house needed that bright punch of color.
- The only thing I might change are the Biedermeier chair seat cushions. I would have used something softer with more color.
Images: John Granen

5 comments:

mb said...

Amen.

Naomi@DesignManifest said...

Great Kitchen! Saving this one for the inspiration files. Love that white detailing on the black cabinets- it really makes them pop.

Crys said...

Ooo...love the marble here.

LindsB said...

I really love the black kitchen cabinets!

Joseph said...

You have started a very interesting discussion on kitchen design. I'm a cabinetmaker who really does not want to make kitchens for a living, because the most of what is done in the US is just boxes with a "choice of doors and drawer fronts," the most of which are made in a factory somewhere. Boring. I want to do something else if I can, but what?

European design just absolutely blows my mind, and I find myself reading quite a bit on it, even though these are often modular kitchens that one would simply send away for and have installed by a local craftsman. But what fascinates me is the utter innovation of those designs, so I find myself returning to them quite a bit.

I am also looking to design a kitchen for my wife in a too small space in a tract home, which necessarily lets out those wonderful European designs that excite me so. And whenever I find myself going out on a limb with some idea or another for our kitchen, my wife always grounds me by saying, "If you stick with the classics, you won't grow tired of them."

So, what do you do that is different and yet timeless and practical and stimulating to make if you're a cabinetmaker? Damned if I know, but if I ever figure it out, I mean to make it for us and splash that baby all over the Internet!

What you've written, though, has given me quite a bit to think about, and I thank you for sharing your concepts.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails