Monday, June 6, 2011

June's Recommended read + a goal!

I like to cook, I actually love to cook if there is someone to cook for. I especially enjoy cooking for company. I pour a glass of wine, listen to music and work away. Sadly, I've been so busy focusing on my life, kids and business that I haven't set aside much time for cooking lately! I was always busy but some how found time to cook at least four days of the week when my husband lived with me. There is something about sharing a meal with someone that's more enjoyable then dining alone. As you know, it's just my kids and I now, so cooking hasn't been my top priority. Although, eating healthy should be. I constantly try to introduce new and fresh foods to my children but children will be children and on some days I'm lucky to get my three year old to eat anything never mind something "foreign". 

That brings me to this month's recommended read.   Gwyneth Paltrow's new cookbook "My Father's Daughter". It's currently in my Amazon cart and I will be eagerly awaiting the books arrival. I agree with Gwyneth's approach to cooking on a number of levels. I too try not to eat processed foods, I also eat fresh, and organic when possible. I love that she includes her children in the cooking process, I try my best to do the same! 
Okay, now onto my goal. No, I'm not trying to copy "Julie" from the well known book and film "Julie and Julia", but I do need some motivation to start cooking again. It's healthier, cheaper and also some what therapeutic. 
Here's my objective: To cook one meal a week from Gwyneth's cook book! I can't promise I'll finish the entire book but I'll do my best! I'll often take photos and share my results and even my son's critique when possible! Fingers crossed that this spurs my desire to cook and make cooking fun again! Happy June! xx. Julie

9 comments:

cafenoHut said...

I have just bought this book from London. It is realt nice and I can not wait to try a recipe from there.

Ashley said...

Very smart goal, Julie. Sounds like this book is a winner--perhaps it will make its way to my Amazon cart!

Please share with us your weekly meals, too!

Tiffany from HOLIDAY said...

Ohmygoodness - I love this! Please do and I'll follow along. Actually, I do follow...not sure I've ever commented. Good luck! Can't wait to read each week. The book has been in my Amazon cart as well.

JWK said...

You will LOVE IT!!!

Anonymous said...

you are going to LOVE the book...simple, easy, fresh, kid-friendly and inspiring photos/text. it makes picking out something to make for dinner w/3 kids a treat. hope you love it!

Julie Richard - Shelter said...

Thanks for your positive feedback, I am going to begin as soon as the book arrives!! As I said, I don't think I can promise more then one meal a week. {at least for now}

Anonymous said...

Great idea! I look forward to following along! I often feel uninspired to cook as well, esp. after a long day at work. I love the idea of having the kids pitch in... My daughter husked the corn tonight for Ina Garten's Confetti Corn recipe and it definitely made her more excited to taste it!

Whitney said...

on your page, girl. 100%.

Linda@a design snack said...

can't wait for the first installment! great idea. happy cooking!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails