Friday, September 23, 2016

Shelter Loves...


1. September has been warm, like really warm here in Boston! I'm sort of looking forward to the cooler weather due next week. I'll be breaking out my cozy sweaters and plaid shirts fo sho. I'm a big fan of layering check and plaid shirts into a high/low look. Purchase this stewart plaid at J. Crew. It WILL sell out!
2. The concept of, La Latina, is great.  Grace Ramirez brings us on a cooking exploration through South America. I love Latin food and may just need to purchase this hot book! Here is the guac recipe. (I'm addicted to avocados btw)
3. I don't always post food, but when I do, you'd better believe I'll be whipping it up soon! In fact, I'm going to make this yummy sammy for my breakfast in the am. I love a good poached egg....recipe via.
4. I admire everything about this photo. We need to focus on more joy in this world, the news is so depressing. My favorite genre of photography captures people and their emotions. I also appreciate a time when everyone took the time to dress beautifully.
5. AMEN.
6. I usually combine modern and classic elements in my interiors. A box pleat shade on the right lamp is a gorgeous design detail. 
7. These cuties may need to make there way to my closet. 
8. I've long loved french designer Serge Mouille's iconic "arm" lamps. They compliment both modern and transitional interiors. With his fame and the elegance of the design comes a hefty price tag. Here is an alternative if you can't shell out $2500-$6000 for an original. We purchased the knock off for a client project. Room image by: Mark D. Sikes


Guacamole


Ingredients
2 ripe avocados
½ red onion, peeled and diced (about ¼ cup)
1 jalapeƱo, serrano, or other chile, minced (optional)
2 tbsp finely chopped cilantro (coriander) leaves, plus extra leaves for garnish
1 tbsp fresh lime
coarse pink Himalayan salt (or flaky sea salt) to taste
freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 tsp black sesame or toasted sesame seeds to garnish
1 tbsp pomegranate seeds to garnish
Halve the avocados. Remove seed and scoop flesh out, putting it in a mixing bowl. Using a fork, mash the avocado, adding some lime juice to prevent oxidation. Add onion, chile, coriander and lime juice, and season to taste. Keep the pomegranate and toasted sesame seeds separate until ready to serve. Just before serving, finish by garnishing with pomegranate and sesame seeds, some extra coriander leaves and coarse or flaky salt.
To prevent oxidation (browning), put the avocado seed in the middle of the guacamole. Acid also prevents oxidation, so feel free to add a thin layer of lemon or lime juice on top, folding this through just before serving.
If you need to refrigerate your guac for hours (up to 2 days), put it in a bowl that has a tight-fitting lid. Pack the guacamole tightly in the bowl, pressing out any air bubbles. Dribble in some lukewarm water, making sure that the water covers the surface of the guacamole to about 1 cm deep. Put some plastic wrap directly over the guac, then put the lid on and refrigerate. When ready to eat, take the lid off and and gently pour out the water. Stir the guacamole to incorporate any extra moisture.


2 comments:

Abby said...

Can you post the link to the knock off lamp in number 8? Looks like the current link goes to the cookbook. Would love to know what lamp you are referring to.

Thanks!

Julie Richard - Shelter said...

Hi! Sorry about that. The link is fixed. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails